- Directed by: István Iglódi
- Screenplay: Zsolt Pozsgai
- Director of photography: András Szalay
- Producer: József Sipos
- Co-Producer: Krisztina Détár
- Production company: PCN Film Produkció
- Release date: 3 February 2006
- (2006, feature, video, colour, 90 min.)
- Gábor Agárdi • Konrád
- István Avar • Henrik
- Mariann Csernus • Nini
- Pál Mihály • Vadás
- Kátya Tompos • Krisztina
- Sándor Csepeli • Inas
- 2004 – 35th Hungarian Film Festival – Most watched movie
- 2006 – Hungarian Film Week
Based on Sándor Márai’s Embers
Sándor Márai’s world famous masterpiece is the drama of a belated showdown. Two young cadets, closest friends once – two old men full of suspicion, bitterness and with a guilty conscience now, forty years later. And between the two dates – nothing but total blank.
They have not met for forty years – one of them was serving in the army in the tropics, the other was just sitting in the library watching the shutters in his castle after the army days.
But now they meet again, it is time to showdown.
What happened that day, some forty years ago? What mortal sin needs clarification? And behind all these questions and passions there is a dead woman: Krisztina, the beloved wife of one of them. The two friends shared the same passion for the same woman. One of them cheated and ran away, the other stayed but gave no helping hand to Krisztina who was in trouble. And now both has to face betrayal.
Now, when the candle burns to stub. Just embers.